If your furnace has ever gone out during a cold winter night, you probably know the importance of maintenance and checking your furnace for signs of damage. Doing these two things can make a big difference with your heating system, your home, and your life. Unfortunately, your furnace can also break down without any warning signals at all. This is why it’s always important to have a reliable heating service company on call. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, we’ve been providing top-quality services in Tualatin, OR since 1922!
Don’t just take our word for it. Visit our reviews page to hear from our happy customers today!
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repair
If you have ever had your furnace behave in an odd way, it was probably followed up by repairs shortly after. Your furnace is designed to give off warning signs when there is an issue.
Knowing what these warning signs are can help you reduce the likelihood of needing emergency repairs or waking up to a cold house in the winter.
- Inconsistent Heat - A furnace that is in trouble is going to have a hard time producing enough heat to warm your home. You may notice either cool air or spots in the house that are cool while others are warm.
- Yellow Pilot Light - A pilot light that is yellow or green is not a good sign. A healthy light is blue, and anything else should be inspected by a professional.
- Poor Air Flow - Besides cool air, if you notice poor airflow through the vents, it could mean you have a clogged filter. This should be checked as it can cause bigger issues.
- Increase in Fuel Costs - A furnace that is struggling will need to use more fuel to heat the home.
- Air Quality- Any changes to the air in the home can be attributed to a damaged furnace. Poor air quality, excess dust, and soot around the vests are all signs to get help.
- Noise - any noise out of the ordinary, including more frequent cycling, should be checked out by a professional.
How a Damaged Furnace Can Affect Your Home
A damaged furnace can cause some serious issues within the home. It can cause poor air quality that can make breathing issues worse. It can also cause colds, coughs, sinus issues, headaches, and nose bleeds.
Also, a malfunctioning furnace can raise your energy bills due to the added fuel needed to heat your home. It can decrease your comfort level, and most importantly, a damaged or broken furnace can have some serious safety consequences for the home.
As a furnace uses either gas or oil to burn, there is the possibility of fire, explosions, or carbon monoxide poisoning if there are repairs that go untreated. All of these safety issues can be prevented, however, by following up on warning signs and having annual maintenance performed by a professional.
Seeing the signs of furnace damage? Don’t wait for your home to be affected. We offer convenient coupons for added savings on furnace installations.
The Importance of Furnace Maintenance
As mentioned above, annual furnace maintenance can head off all of the serious safety issues that could potentially happen. There are more benefits than that, however. Here are the top benefits of ongoing maintenance:
- Increased lifespan of the unit
- Better airflow
- Better overall heating
- Improved air quality
- Lower energy consumption
- Reduces energy costs
- Less frequent repair
- Few emergency repairs
- Maintains the manufacturer's warranty.
All of these benefits can come from having your furnace inspected and tuned up annually at the beginning of the cold season. Sunset Heating & Cooling is here to help with all your heating needs. As homeowners ourselves, we understand how important warmth can be to your comfort and safety, and it’s why we offer reliable services backed by generations of experience and care.