As society continues to put emphasis on our carbon footprint, many homeowners have opted to upgrade their heating system to a heat pump. Not only do they offer the same heating you’re used to in your Portland, OR home, but also they are super-efficient to run, a win-win for both your home and the environment. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, we are your reliable heat pump installation, repair, and maintenance service company. Our technicians take the time to understand your needs, providing you with personalized service from your first call.
Sticking with your traditional heating system? Ensure you’re ready for the winter with our signature furnace tune-up service.
How Do Heat Pumps Work?
A heat pump is an electrical system that provides both heat and air conditioning. While many homeowners believe this is a new technology, it is not. Heat pump technology is how our refrigerators work.
The basic concept of how these systems operate is simple. They take heat from one location and moves it to another location. The heat pump does not produce any heat itself, it just moves it. There are two parts to a heat pump; inside the unit and outside unit. This is how it works:
Located inside both units, there are coils that have a substance called refrigerant running through them in a cycle. In the outside unit, the refrigerant is at a low pressure causing it to evaporate (turn to gas). The evaporated refrigerant is then able to pull warmth from the air. Once the warmth is extracted, the evaporated refrigerant is compressed and pushed towards the indoor unit.
Once the refrigerant has made it back to the indoor unit, it will condense at high pressure (turning back to liquid) thus releasing the heat. This process can be reversed in the summertime by pulling the warmth from inside and releasing it outside.
Benefits of a Heat Pump
There are many different benefits of a heat pump when compared to a traditional central heating system. Because of these many benefits, it is no wonder it has become increasingly popular with homeowners in Portland, OR and the surrounding areas. Some of the perks you can expect include:
- Cost Efficiency - Heat pumps are a lot more cost-friendly then combustion heating systems. This is due to the fact that the refrigerant does all the heavy lifting, and only electricity is needed.
- Safety Standards - Heat pumps are also very safe to use as there is no need for any combustible substances such as oil or gas.
- Dual Functions - Heat pumps have the ability to heat and air condition the home. This helps keep your costs low throughout the year, while also limiting any downtime that often leads to repair issues.
- Longer Life Span- The lifespan of the average heat pump is roughly 15 years.
- Maintenance - Heat pumps require less maintenance than their traditional counterparts. While some aspects need to be checked annually, a certified specialist is only required every 3 to 5 years.
- Eco-Friendly - As a heat pump only uses electricity and refrigerant to run, it can greatly reduce your carbon footprint. Also, as of January 2020, Freon (R44) will be illegal to produce or import. The safer and more efficient refrigerant R-410A will only be used.
As long-time Portland residents and service providers, we put great importance on the environment and eco-friendly heating and cooling solutions. When it comes to heat pumps, we know these systems can provide you with quality heating and cooling, all while helping you save in the process. Whether you need repairs on your existing system or are looking to make a change, we’re the heat pump contractors to call.
Want to do more for an eco-friendly home? Consider a thermostat upgrade. It can help reduce excess runtime, lowering your footprint in the process.
Importance of Hiring a Professional Heat Pump Contractor
Though heat pumps are a lot more homeowner friendly and require little attention, they can be more difficult to install. This is why it’s important to work with a certified HVAC technician when installing a heat pump into your home. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, we’ve been working in the area since 1922! In that time, we’ve refined our skills and customer care and only offer you the very best services around.