One of the most important, but often overlooked, parts of your HVAC system are the filters. The filtration system is the key to providing quality comfort in your Portland, OR home and cleaner air for you and your family to breathe. When not replaced frequently, there can be many side effects you may not be aware of. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, we’re homeowners too, which means we understand how this simple chore can easily fall to the wayside. Luckily, we’re also here to help! As your furnace filter replacement experts, our staff can keep your systems working in top shape, while also improving the air quality in your home.
Worried that your neglect may have damaged your air conditioner? We also offer AC repair services to all our customers.
How a Dirty Air Filter Affects Your Home
Periodically changing the filters in your AC and heating systems is essential for their continued performance. When you let the filters get clogged and dirty, it will not only affect your systems, but it can also affect your home and health. Here are some of the most common side effects of dirty air filters.
- Poor Air Quality - The air filters in your HVAC system are what eliminates all the dust and debris from the air around you. Dust, and sometimes soot, can attach itself to your furniture, clothes, and any surface in your home.
- Breathing Issues - Not only do the air filters trap dust and soot, but they also help reduce the number of allergens, mold and mildew spores, and germs floating in the air. Left unchecked, these things can cause allergies, aggravated asthma, cough, colds, and sinus issues. This can be worse in elderly adults and small children.
- Uneven Heating - Clogged and dirty filters can also cause uneven and insufficient heat or cool air from circulating in the home.
- Increased Energy Costs - When an air filter is dirty, the heater or AC has to work that much harder to push the optimized air into the home. This can cause the system to use more fuel.
- Repairs - When filters are left to become dirty and clogged, issues can filter back to the system itself due to the constricted airflow. It can even cause the system to stop working completely.
Although an air filter may seem like a small part, it can have a major impact on your home and comfort. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, we make replacement easy and can schedule services at regular intervals so you never forget a replacement.
How Often Should You Replace Your Air Filter?
Unfortunately, there is no quick and fast answer as to how often you should change the furnace filter or AC filter. It generally depends on your home and lifestyle. Below is a general guide on how often you should replace your filters.
- Vacation homes should have their air filters changed once a year.
- A single-occupant home with no pets and no breathing difficulties should change their filters every six to eight months.
- Homes with more than one person, at least one pet, and/or allergies should change their filters every three to four months.
- Homes with more than one occupant, two or more pets, and/or allergies should change their filters every two to three months.
- Homes with more than one occupant with pets and severe breathing difficulties should change their filters every four to six weeks.
There are other circumstances that can be taken into consideration. For example, if you live in an urban area you should shave a month or so off. Of course, this is only a guide, and you will need to optimize your filter replacement to meet your needs.
Want to improve your air quality even further? Be sure to ask about our air cleaning services, and take a step towards a healthier home.
How an Expert Can Help
Changing filters, while sometimes can be done by the homeowner, can be trickier in areas that are difficult to get to. Also, using a filter that is not the right size will have little to no effect. The best way to eliminate these problems is by having a professional HVAC technician replace your air filters. At Sunset Heating & Cooling, our AC service pros can work with you to find the correct filter based on your needs and get it replaced regularly for stress-free and convenient service.